PDA

View Full Version : Formatting External Hard Drive for Smoke Archiving

michelle
12th April 2006, 15:39
Is there a particular way a hard drive has to be formatted for Smoke Archiving or will any formatting do? I've always just used the drive as is when it comes out of the box but I may have to start using previously used drives. My tezro is connected to a mac and we file archive thru the mac. Can I format the drive as Mac OS Entended (Journaled) or should I do it standard or does it not matter? --- Thanks.

higginba
12th April 2006, 15:53
As long as you are planning on archiving through the Mac, the only thing that matters is if the Mac can read the drive.

someone2006
14th April 2006, 17:08
I'm curious about this, since we've always archived onto tapes. Where can I find some documentation on archiving onto hard-disks?

michelle
14th April 2006, 18:51
Thanks higginba.

Can't really tell you where to find documentation on it. The manual is very sparse in terms of instructions on this. Our discreet engineer set this up for me and I believe he got his information on setting up the discreet hardware with the mac from this website. Sorry I can't be of more help.

loops
14th April 2006, 22:54
You just do a file archive, but store it to a disk in the Mac mounted over NFS, I'm guessing. Setting up NFS on OSX is a bit fun, involves NetInfo and whatnot but it's doable. Or you could use Samba or Sharity but that's more fun on the Irix end.

new
24th October 2007, 18:31
Hello Guru's

Unable to archive clips on a external USB Segate HDD on Somke 2007.

Give error during formatting of reserved space.

Looked up the pdf manual , but sigh, very little use.

any help.

regards

emo
24th October 2007, 23:49
formatting should be formatted ext 2. I have also formatted drives in osx os-extended which is not the best but it works.

Storyville_Tim
25th October 2007, 21:54
Using NFS Manager, I have been archiving directly to our XServe Raid. From there I have been copying to a osx os-extended fire wire drive. This has been working out great.