Beta memo: at this time the forums and insider use two different registration and login systems. We're working on unifying the process, so if you register with your same e-mail on the forums and insider we'll merge your accounts later. To access the forums please use the login below. -Thanks.

Default new system for fast quality 2D to 3D conversion

I am independent researcher and developer and i would like to propose you a new system of stereoscopic 3D conversion. The main problem of existing stereoscopic conversions is the fact that manual by frame conversion requests high budget whereas automatic conversions (software or real-time boxes) by now do not deliver suitable quality but just perform some operations which have little to do with the images depth as perceived by an trained artist.

My approach is depth map based (which is not so new at all) but unlike all other existing software it allows not only to estimate a depth map from 2D frames in good quality but also allows operator guided refining either by depth specific image parameters or by manual artistic components.

The idea is to have a solid framework for 3D conversions in good quality for projects which do not allow high budgets like TV serials or movie releases just for DVD market. Although it is possible for home users to convert complete movies automatically the full potential will be only released in the hands of a trained operator / artist.

I based the solution completely on open source freeware and use GIMP as the host and the G´MIC image manipulation language as the development tool, which are both freeware and stable on all platforms. Also the conversion filter is free and open source.

A complete description including tutorial is available on www.tkfilter.bplaced.net

I wouldbe happy about experts opinions and tests to improve the system further.
    Last edited by tom_keil; 23rd March 2012 at 19:47.

Your stereoscopic 3D conversion seems really useful.And you have said above that it can be stable on all platforms,I think ipad is included,isn\'t it?
    my company website:http://www.foxrenderfarm.com

Stable on all platforms means windows, LINUX and Mac, sorry there are currently no apple iOS versions of the host program GIMP. Anyway the conversion process does not seem to make much sense for me on mobile devices, it is not a real time time converter but a frame based 3D converter and editor for high quality conversion (similar to what you reach by manual workflow), rendering time would kill any handheld device. For details see tutorial here: http://www.tkfilter.bplaced.net/TKFi...onversion.html

Quote Originally Posted by tom_keil View Post
    Stable on all platforms means windows, LINUX and Mac, sorry there are currently no apple iOS versions of the host program GIMP. Anyway the conversion process does not seem to make much sense for me on mobile devices, it is not a real time time converter but a frame based 3D converter and editor for high quality conversion (similar to what you reach by manual workflow), rendering time would kill any handheld device. For details see tutorial here: http://www.tkfilter.bplaced.net/TKFi...onversion.html
    Thanks for answering my question,I will have a try with your conversion if there is a need.
    my company website:http://www.foxrenderfarm.com

Hey, guys, if you can make it stable on all platforms including windows, LINUX, Mac and more, you did good job,
    and you used GIMP as the host, sounds a good choice. and the GIMP can run under the GNU/Linux、MS Windows、Mac OS X,etc system. hope you can improve it.
    Best Regards
    Johnson Stanley
    Use Led Downlight to warm your house and family.
    use Led flood Light to promote your intelligent ideas.