Beta memo: at this time the forums and insider use two different registration and login systems. We're working on unifying the process, so if you register with your same e-mail on the forums and insider we'll merge your accounts later. To access the forums please use the login below. -Thanks.

Thread: keying / mattes

Default keying / mattes

Hi,
    I\'m fairly new to the whole compositing / nuke thing. I\'m trying to do a split screen. I\'ve set camera up in one place and had one shot with person sitting on one side, then another with person coming from other side to sit down opposite them. I\'ve used a dissolve node which works well and you can see the same person twice in the shot (after I roto-ed approx down the middle) At one point it overlaps though and person in foreground flicks their hair so it goes over / behind other person. How do I fix this. Can I just select the area by rotoing (that over laps) and key out so that just the hair over laps (ie naturally?) Or is there another way - can you key just an area etc?
    Thanks.
    Marie

Quote Originally Posted by Marie View Post
    Hi,
    I\'m fairly new to the whole compositing / nuke thing. I\'m trying to do a split screen. I\'ve set camera up in one place and had one shot with person sitting on one side, then another with person coming from other side to sit down opposite them. I\'ve used a dissolve node which works well and you can see the same person twice in the shot (after I roto-ed approx down the middle) At one point it overlaps though and person in foreground flicks their hair so it goes over / behind other person. How do I fix this. Can I just select the area by rotoing (that over laps) and key out so that just the hair over laps (ie naturally?) Or is there another way - can you key just an area etc?
    Thanks.
    Marie
    Keying just an area is probably a good idea. You can do this by defining the area you want to key with a roto, keying (but only focusing on getting a good key in the area that is going to overlap) and then merge your key with your roto using \"In\" (Your key in your roto).