Beta memo: at this time the forums and insider use two different registration and login systems. We're working on unifying the process, so if you register with your same e-mail on the forums and insider we'll merge your accounts later. To access the forums please use the login below. -Thanks.

Default Combustion 2008 on Windows 7 Ultimate

Hello all.

I have recently installed Combustion 2008 on a HP Quad workstation running Windows 7 Ultimate.

I am very impressed with the performance of the software on the Windows 7 platform. It allows C2008 to access 3 gig of ram & is super speedy & stable. It has made for a highly interactive desktop experience & should see me using the software for a good while longer before having to make the jump to Composite or Nuke for more complex shots.

Has anyone had any experience with Backburner running from Win 7 in 32bit emulation mode back to 32bit servers? Are there any issues or limitations ?

Timberoz>Craig

Under Windows 64-bit, 32-bit applications run on top of an emulation of a 32-bit operating system that is called Windows 32-bit on Windows 64-bit, or WOW64 for short. WOW64 intercepts all operating system calls made by a 32-bit application.

For each operating system call made, WOW64 generates native 64-bit system calls, converting 32-bit data structures into 64-bit aligned structures. The appropriate native 64-bit system call is passed to the operating system kernel, and any output data from the 64-bit system call is converted into a format appropriate for the calling application before being passed back.

Like 32-bit applications, WOW64 runs in user mode so any errors that occur in translating an operating system call will only occur at that level. The 64-bit operating system kernel cannot be affected.

Since WOW64 runs in user mode, all 32-bit application code must also run in user mode. This explains why 32-bit kernel mode device drivers and applications that rely on them, will not work under Windows 64-bit.