Beta memo: at this time the forums and insider use two different registration and login systems. We're working on unifying the process, so if you register with your same e-mail on the forums and insider we'll merge your accounts later. To access the forums please use the login below. -Thanks.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Is it worth it?

Hi,

I'll not get into the infamous PC x Mac fight because it's useless, if you really plan to use Shake get a Mac, not because it's faster or cheaper but because is the only way that you have a garantee that you will have future versions of Shake avaliable to you, plus to that it's in fact cheaper even with the hardware included and you get rendernodes for free, so it worths.

Linux is a great OS, but you still need to be kinda "engineer" to set it well, plus it lacks of applications and good drivers and you can't really compare Gimp or Cinepaint to Photoshop, Photoshop still the ONE to be beaten, and its the standart in the market so you simply can't runaway from it.
    Amazon Paint looks pretty nice tho, but I still not too sure about it.

If you can get two computers, get a Mac with Shake, FCP bundle and a PC for 3D stuff, if you plan to do heavy 3D stuff (dynamics, complex character animation) the boards that comes with G5 might not be polygon "beasts", but for Shake GUI, DVE, 2D and some 3D stuff is more then enough I assure you.

In the other hand if Shake is not an issue and you need heavy 3D stuff, get a good PC with a polygon "beast" graphic board.
    Since the PC plataform in my opnion still more flexible in terms of applications and possibilities then the Mac plataform you could set a PC running Nuke, DF or even Combustion for compositing and have a powerful 3D box in the same computer.

But if Shake is the main thing here defenitly go for a Mac G5, you get all the advantages on buying a Shake copy and the garantee that you will have future versions of Shake, also you still have access for great apps for 3D like Maya Complete, LightWave and Cinema 4D running pretty well too.

Just my R$ 0,2

Cheers,
    dg

Almost forgot it, wait till July/August, Intel will release it's new 64bit processor line, that I'm sure will kick some ass too, and Mac might have some reaction to that, making the current G5 configs drop their prices and releasing new processors speeds.

So if you can, might worth the wait

See ya,
    dg

hi...

anyone tested the new AMD Athlon 64bit systems for speed....
    any idea abt system costs...???

Quote Originally Posted by thelibran
    hi...

anyone tested the new AMD Athlon 64bit systems for speed....
    any idea abt system costs...???

Hi thelibrain,

I haven't yet, but till now I'm not aware of any major windows ou linux based apps being optimized for 64bit plataforms, if I'm not mistaken the only one that I'm aware of is Houdini, so I belive for now you won't see much difference.

By the way anyone knows which CG applications for windows XP64 or Linux are already optimized 64bit?

Cheers,
    dg