Beta memo: at this time the forums and insider use two different registration and login systems. We're working on unifying the process, so if you register with your same e-mail on the forums and insider we'll merge your accounts later. To access the forums please use the login below. -Thanks.

Default HFS+ not cleanly unmounted

Hello everybody,

i have a USB drive (HFS+ not journaled) at my flame. Due to a crash I didn´t unmount the drive and now everything is read only
    syslog message:
    "hfs: Filesystem was not cleanly unmounted, running fsck.hfsplus is recommended. mounting read-only"
    unfortunatly there is no fsck.hfsplus for the flame, and I am not sure wether trying to compile the hfs+tool (which still leaves the question of where to find a recent version) or using hpmount (which is not a good ideas - at least thats what my google researches say)

I was hoping that connecting the disk to a mac and running the disk utility would help. But unfortunatly it didn´t

Does anyone know a workaround to "convince" redhat to accept my hfs+ drive again or how to set the ...consitencybit - without endangering my data?

Any help and ideas are greatly appreciated. If you´re in Munich I would invite you for a Glühwein.

Many thanks in advance,

Tom

If it's able to mount read only I would copy all of your files to another drive or location. before doing anything else.

Once you have a safe copy I can recommend 'disks warrior' for an HFS+ files system.

http://www.alsoft.com/Diskwarrior/index.html

This has consistently given me good results. If it can't repair the issue it gives you the option to create a new directory - under which it will copy everything that is readable. In the past it has been able to fix all but one of my filesystems.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
    George

Hi george,
    thanks for your answer. i was hoping to get the disk writeable again without copying everything first - but it seems that its not a good idea to have an hfs disk connected to a linux box. so it´s ext3 for now.
    cheers,
    tom

I think you can just plug the drive in to a mac and use disk utility to fix disk and that should sort it.