Compositing Career-HELP

Home Page forums fx Art and Technique Compositing, Roto, Keying Compositing Career-HELP

This topic contains 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  IreneRPayne 1 week, 2 days ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Forgel

I am considering a career as a compositor, but I need someone to help me understand what is really takes.

First off, Do you need to learn how to light and do FX work? I understand a more generalist approach is good, but are these other fields just an absolute necessary for this line of work?

Secondly, and this is a big one, do you need to be able to write scripts and have working knowledge of python or mel? Or anyting scripting language to be a successful compositor?

Third, Matchmoving. Is this skill essential to everyday done as a comper?

When I see these VFX demo reels, it seems everyone has a knowledge of freaking everything. Please, anyone who could help me understand this field more thoroughly, or any links to good articles on this would be very much appreciated.

Anonymous

If you’re considering a career in compositing, there a a number of things you would need to learn before jumping in. I would highly recommend you read The Art and Science of Digital Compositing by Ron Brinkmann. That book covers a lot of the technical aspects you will need to know such as lighting, colour and how the camera lens see’s the world. Also learning a bit about photography would also help you too. Also get Digital Compositing for Film and Video by Steve Wright. Antoher good read which will help you.

In my opinion, I don’t think phyton is essential, but more of a bonus if you know how to code in it. Leaning some basic scripting may be useful for writing expressions but this can also come in time.

I would also say match moving is essential. Work on as many tutorials as you can to master this as it is used a lot. If you’re planning on using Nuke, master the 2D and 3D tracker as well as looking at 3rd party software such as Mocha or PF Track.

Good luck in your career

@forgel 42117 wrote:

I am considering a career as a compositor, but I need someone to help me understand what is really takes.

First off, Do you need to learn how to light and do FX work? I understand a more generalist approach is good, but are these other fields just an absolute necessary for this line of work?

Secondly, and this is a big one, do you need to be able to write scripts and have working knowledge of python or mel? Or anyting scripting language to be a successful compositor?

Third, Matchmoving. Is this skill essential to everyday done as a comper?

When I see these VFX demo reels, it seems everyone has a knowledge of freaking everything. Please, anyone who could help me understand this field more thoroughly, or any links to good articles on this would be very much appreciated.

Anonymous

Thank you so much!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.