Is stereoscopic cinematography on the decline?

Home Page forums Podcasts redcentre Is stereoscopic cinematography on the decline?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Craig Macon
    Participant

I know that it is the current trend in production. Personally, I have seen it only as a novelty. One which played itself out after the third film I saw. It seemed I was in the minority. My friends were all still stampeding to the cinema for the 3D features. Now a year later, more of my friends are declining to see 3D movies. Still a minority in my circles but a decline nontheless.

I was struck by this article online I read just recently.http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment/2011/06/mr_poppers_penguins.html

The statistics that interested me most were that this movie was shown in 3D in 70% of theaters and those screenings equated to only 45% or the revenues. This tells me that this trend isn\’t just me and a minority of my friends.

Is this just an aberattion in the trend of 3D? Or is it signalling the decline of the general public to pay more money for the 3D effect? Is it more closely related to the economics or personal preference to not wanting to wear the glasses?

I\’d be interested to hear the opinion of others.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Wow, 81 views and no responses.

So, I have been discussing this on another forum and there have been interesting opinions put forth. Seems many people think 3D is a passing fad, TVs and all, and this will dry up soon.

Another person posed an interesting view that 3D itself may not be going away, but nearing an equilibrium. The idea people are past the novelty of 3D and now they are at a place where they weigh how much they want to see a movie against how much they are willing to spend. This really made sense to me. People could be less inclined to see mediocre films in 3D and pay a premium to see them. But they may be perfectly willing to shell out top dollar to see the hallmark films and get the full effect. I think with the amount of money the theaters have invested in equipment, and the amount of money the studios/distributors are making this most likely closer to the truth than the idea that this will all “just go away.”

Anonymous
    Inactive

I think that, like anything that is “hyped” to drive audiences into the theater, 3D presentation is starting to experience the usual backlash from consumers that almost always occurs in some form when a trend is embraced on such a large scale. I personally know a lot of friends and colleagues who say things like “I just don’t like 3D” or “I actually go out of my way to avoid 3D” which is a valid matter of taste. Having said that, I also often witness audiences reacting quite positively to 3D films at the cinema. Usually it seems to be the more casual filmgoer or kids in their teens or younger and I’m guessing that demo has probably always been one of the biggest audiences for 3D presentation. I predict that 3D will stick around but evolve dramatically in the future. Just look at how quickly post-conversion techniques have improved over the last year. I’m sure that technology like 4k projection, higher frame-rates and embracing new filmmaking techniques that enhance 3D will make the experience one that audiences continue to embrace. … or I could be wrong which means that in a few years there are going to be a lot of broke and pissed-off studio executives out there!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Copy link