linear to log space

Home Page forums Autodesk/Discreet Toxik linear to log space

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Dubiduu
    Participant

Hi all,

This is my first time working in lin-log workflow.
    Im working on full CG movie, 3D guys send the render result in gamma 1.0.

Im using cinespace to profile my monitor.
    After profiling, I create the LUT to apply in Toxik.
    Do I have to apply the LUT everytime I create a new comp? or is there any automatic way?

After compositing, I have to export to DPX Cineon. Should I apply ‘log’ tool or not?

I really appreciate if there’s any explanation about this workflow (gamma, linear, log things). It’s quite confusing though…

Thanks alot.

Leo

Tobin
    Participant

sorry, i can´t help you in toxik, but there is a nice tutorial for combustion regarding this topic:

http://www.creativecow.net/show.php?page=/articles/bell_alan/bit_depth/index.html

maybe this is helpful,

timor

Tanner Wickware
    Participant
    Dubiduu wrote:
    Do I have to apply the LUT everytime I create a new comp? or is there any automatic way?

If I understand correctly what you are trying to achieve, what you should do is to have the LUT tool used as a “display modifier” in your Player view. Drag the LUT tool from the East gate, go over the Player, open the Gate UI by pressing the middle mouse button, and drop the LUT tool into the “Display” tab in your Player options. By doing this, the LUT tool will be applied to anything displayed in the Player.

Quote:
    After compositing, I have to export to DPX Cineon. Should I apply ‘log’ tool or not?

You do not need to apply the LUT tool per se. Instead, you should set the “Format Options” in your Publish project settings (I am going from memory, the labels might be slightly different) to set a color conversion to be done when publishing in DPX format.

Hope this helps.

Regads,

Charles

I really appreciate if there’s any explanation about this workflow (gamma, linear, log things). It’s quite confusing though…

Thanks alot.

Leo[/quote]

Larry
    Participant

Place to start:

http://miafx.com/wiki/tiki-index.php?page_ref_id=307

Maybe this could help.

chris
    Participant

if you are doing a full CG film, there is no real reason to work in LOG. i’d render to 16bit linear (like PNG, for example) or floating point EXR.

log is kinda an analog thingy.

//gD

dennis
    Participant

Thanks for the link! it helps a lot 🙂
    Also thanks for all the tips guys..

filipp
    Participant

Hi,
    I’ve got an update on lin2log workflow. It’s been discussed on the aera (http://area.autodesk.com/index.php/forums/viewthread/20197/) and I think it is very interesting.
    To sum up, the “Log” tool in Toxik 2009 SP1 is not doing what’s expected and has a different result than the “Lin2Log” from both nuke and shake. A good workaround has been pulled of by Mark Rasmussen, so in case you need to convert Linear data to Log space, I encourage you to read this thread.
    Autodesk has been informed of this issue and should work on the solution.

cheers,
    antoine.

chris
    Participant

toxik has 1D and 3D luts that can do all kinds of color space conversions, but to reiterate, if you are doing all CG, there is no reason to be rendering out of your 3D app and working in log colorspace in any compositing applicaiton.

stay linear.

//garyD

Anonymous
    Inactive

Sorry to bump an old thread, but we are more and more working with 3dsmax composite in our compositing team, and working on wide gamut monitors (they are calibrated with spyder3 but to icc standard) we get oversaturated colors. I know how to apply lut file to only the viewer, as output files are ok, but how can I create/generate this lut file to match my monitor gamut ? Does I need any specific software ? Will it work with dtp94 or spyder3 or i1 display2 ?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Copy link