Nuke Multi-threaded

Home Page forums Applications Nuke Nuke Multi-threaded

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Shervin Shoghian
    Participant

Hey guys,

I’m new to fxguide and a new user to Nuke. First off i must say that Nuke tottaly rocks, although i’m using an older version 4.0, it still has some cool features and i love the way it does things. I can’t wait to try out the newer versions.
    Now for my question. I’m playing around a lot with Nukes 3D functions and they work for the most part accept when it comes down to render. I have a daul Proc system and for some reason it peaks out at 51%. Is Nuke fully multi-threaded? Is there a switch im missing or a command line.
    I render with the Nuke -x -m 2 script.nk option but i doesn’t seem to want to take full advantage of the processors. I’m running under Win2000 under 2 Intel procs. Any help would be great.

cheers.

Swerve.

Anonymous
    swerve wrote:
    … it peaks out at 51%. Is Nuke fully multi-threaded? Is there a switch im missing or a command line. I render with the Nuke -x -m 2 script.nk option

Nuke is fully multithreaded and uses a tile/line based approach to utilize all processors with as little RAM as possible. This innovative concept is one of the main reasons it won the Academy Award.

Nuke 4.0 renders fully multithreaded when in interactive mode. The number of threads is automatically set by Nuke to best use the processors on you machine to avoid unneccessary wait times. Setting the number of threads manually usually degrades performance.

The Nuke 4.0 command line version always renders single threaded, no matter what the -m argument says. This was done because most render farms count in CPU’s and not in machines. However…

Nuke 4.1 and higher does allow you to render multithreaded from the command line, because render farm software became smarter.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Copy link