Self Education; Combustion or Shake?

Home Page forums Autodesk/Discreet Flame and Smoke Self Education; Combustion or Shake?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    malu05_vb
    Participant

Hi;again

Now im soon done with my Prime Education.
    So now i want to take a year of and earn som money!
    and then i am going to IMMA(denmark) “Interactive Multimedia and Marketing Acedemy”.

I am going to live with my parrents for 3 more years,
    so the money i earn can i use 100% on “stuff” 😉

stuff = A good Compositing Machine

I have knowledge in Flint, Flame, Combustion, After Effects and some Digital Fusion.
    I finde Combustion quite fustrading some times and it is insane to start working on bit projects on it because there is no scripting methodes or stuff like that to make major things
    (Like once on a political comercial, where i made about 210 Shapes, with my own hands! it too a terrible long time, where i in flint was able to program it in a few minutes)

Well i cant affort Flame and Flint might be an option but it is a lot of money to spend.

So i was wondering, now when im finish working and going to IMMA…
    IMMA is my last step before going out in the buisniss!
    i know it’s not just a step and you are there, but i do first of all have to atleast make a ShowReel… and with the Camera Equipment on IMMA i think i might stand a change of getteing a showreel done in thoes 2 years!

SO i need a system to make my dreams come true. I am quite flexible and “fast learning” so i can start all over with a new composite app any time
    like i did with Combustion and FF.

What system should i buy?
    I have never tried Shake cause i never had acces to a MAC, but people say that it is a Ass Kicker of a composite app!
    Is it just me there is siriously bad to combustion and there for i should take some deeper training?
    or should i go the HighWay and spend all my money on a Lnux-Flint?

Anonymous
    Inactive

certainly don’t go out and buy a Flint unless you are going to make the cost back w/ work you do on it. That’s just overkill.

Otherwise what are your goals w/ this?

You can make a good showreel w/ a pretty modest computer. And two years is plenty of time to have a solid showreel I think, at least for starting out.

If your only goal is to learn and not do any profit stuff, use your student status to qualify for the educational discounts (dunno if shake has one, but Combustion costs I think $300 for the edu version) and get a decent machine to run it. For Combustion, I’d get a dual proc w/ 2 gigs of ram. That’s not super high end per-se, but it’s nice and fast. W/ Shake, the Dual 2 gig G5 would be a good bet.

but I woudln’t go too nuts. Most people buy way more than they need and end up basically throwing money down a hole.

malu05_vb
    Participant

Otherwise what are your goals w/ this?

Well my goals is like in the headline; Self Education
    i am a pretty good compositor and i have all thoes crazy ideas in my head, but i need alot more experience to find the way and an easy way to put them into action and before takeing the next step.
    I learn new mothods all the time, and if i just look 6months, back i guess i work 80% faster then i did at that time.
    I until now i had no media to work with (a acceptable resolution).
    so some experience in working with High Res stuff.

You can make a good showreel w/ a pretty modest computer. And two years is plenty of time to have a solid showreel I think, at least for starting out.

I Agree, 2 years is like all i need… i am allready making a plan of what work i need to do and what flaws i need to fill.
    A have studied show-reels in some time and tried to see what makes the biggest impression on me, and what i just shoul leave out,
    what is cool and how to do!

If your only goal is to learn and not do any profit stuff, use your student status to qualify for the educational discounts (dunno if shake has one, but Combustion costs I think $300 for the edu version) and get a decent machine to run it. For Combustion, I’d get a dual proc w/ 2 gigs of ram. That’s not super high end per-se, but it’s nice and fast. W/ Shake, the Dual 2 gig G5 would be a good bet.

I don’t know anything about MAC! are the Spec the same as a PC (can you compare speed on pc and mac)?
    Well i tried Combustion 3 on a:
    2 gig ram
    2 x Xeon 3ghz
    4 x Raid 85G Hd’s
    That workdout to be a good kombination!

but I woudln’t go too nuts. Most people buy way more than they need and end up basically throwing money down a hole.

I think it is hard to say what is enough you can easily make a Combustion machine for about 30.000$… and that is way to mutch..

But one thing i hate about compositing! it’s not like drawing, there are way to mutch waiting time!! I just can imagine the compositors about 5+ years ago! it must have been a hell 👿 just to to key a non-bluescreen sequence!
    poor bastards! 😀
    I Like Realtime Workflow but i know that is NOT possible for under about 80000$ so just not to mutch waiting time!

Anonymous
    Inactive

Macs and PCs speed wise are comparable on some tasks, and completely off on others. there are some things a dual 2 gig g5 will be really good at, and others that a single proc PC will do just as well or better.

People spend the better part of their lives arguing this stuff, but in my opinion, the money spent at Apple will get you approximately the same performance as the same money spent at HP, Dell or Boxx. Again there are a number of factors in this (such as the fact that apparently Combustion runs much nicer on PCs) but the idea that one is significantly better than the other overall is outdtated (in my opinion anyway) and mostly just the fuel for flame wars.

but for the overall spending money thing, your education is certainly important, but I’d only spend big money on software/hardware if I was going to make the money back w/ it. Otherwise I’d get something reasonably priced and get the free/discounted learning versions of software. As well as using whatever the school has. Sure being paitent is required, but the only realtime compositor out there is Motion from what I know, and I bet that lags like crazy once you start doing anything serious.

Even the great Inferno still has to render (I kicked off an 8 hour one two days ago).

malu05_vb
    Participant

I can only agree on the thing with money…. however, on IMMA they have MAC’s with AfterEffects and they are running at a speed near the computer i have now. IMMA don’t have many Hardcore compositors, so they don’t have any hardcore hardware but its ok….

About that Inferno thing, even the best takes it time… but i really don’t care about the render time as long as i can make a fast preview so i can se what my final composite will be like in realtime..

But what do you guys think?

APP, OS, Hardware?

rego
    Participant

Shake Ver 2.5 runs fine on a P.C. So if u have a P.C you can have C* + Shake+ Genarts Sapphire and Foundry plugins running on it.
    I used to be a die hard C* user untill i discovered shake. Its very much like working on Inferno except for the speed of couse.
    Well the most important difference i found out between the mac and the pc is that sometimes u need these tiny but vital softwares to convert file formats etc which are aviliable for free download on the net only for PC’s.
    The best and cheap way to learn new softwares is to get a job at the nearest post house.
    That way they spend all the $$$ on latest and expensive stuff 😆

BillShiphr
    Participant

It’s a difficult choice, I don’t know what to say

BalanceBlind
    Participant

Guys, be careful, yesterday I came across tight spreads and everything seems to be fine. I was lost in time and space. I traded there for a very long time, until I was able to earn a tidy sum. And I did it! Guys who are just starting their way in trading, do not be afraid! Try, stumble on mistakes, learn, but don’t be afraid!

Slevin Kelevra
    Participant

Self education can’t be for the worst, I’m telling you. And I’m glad that it’s accessible for everyone nowadays. For example, people manage to learn foreign languages without books and tutors, only using Duolingo and similar mobile apps. Even though I prefer traditional ways of studying languages and work with a tutor from https://preply.com/ , I still do that via the internet. In general, I think that people can use the internet for many things, and it’s great when they choose the path of self education.

falo ven
    Participant

Is there a company that helps you get admitted to medical university?

Ben Millen
    Participant

Good day, applying to medicine or dentistry can be a difficult task, I can advise you on the company http://medicmind.co.uk/ There you can find a fantastic selection of award-winning courses. Hope this helps you.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Copy link