toxik and z depth

Home Page forums Autodesk/Discreet Toxik toxik and z depth

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    5inch
    Participant

Hello folks,

i would like to do some DOF with toxik.
    So i have a 3D rendered scene with a nice 32Bit zDepth-Channel layer.

I know, you can but it straight into the blur-node of toxik, easy going …

But, what must i do if i want to shift the blur focus and how can i
    change the blur amount in depth.

any hint would be really nice …

cheers, 5inch

xuefeng xu
    Participant

What version of Toxik/Composite? What blur node are you using?

-Eric

philnolan3d
    Participant

Put a histogram node between your z-depth pass and the blur node. Changing your white and black levels should allow you to shift the focus somewhat. You can also invert your z-depth pass.

Michael
    http://www.giantsteps.us

@5inch 30814 wrote:

Hello folks,

i would like to do some DOF with toxik.
    So i have a 3D rendered scene with a nice 32Bit zDepth-Channel layer.

I know, you can but it straight into the blur-node of toxik, easy going …

But, what must i do if i want to shift the blur focus and how can i
    change the blur amount in depth.

any hint would be really nice …

cheers, 5inch

Francisco Langer
    Participant

Hello kryptic,

i found a way to do it inside of the blur-node in toxik.

i created the blur node.
    connected the z-depth to the Modulation part of the Blur node
    In the modulation tab > Changed the radios.
    The offset will change the location of the blur.

works fine, you can use the color-picker to find the focus areas.

toxikBlur.jpg

i will check your tip too….

toxik is a very nice tool…

Colby Wienholt
    Participant

wow thanks guys, I came to here to find out exactly what is discussed above. thanks

Colby Wienholt
    Participant

thank you guys, thats exactly what I wanted to find out 🙂

Anonymous
    Inactive

I’m having issues getting the mental ray \”camera depth\” pass to work properly in Composite via the EXR format in the way 5inch has shown. The framebuffer is set to 4x32bit, and the depth pass is remapped to the correct near and far clip planes according to my scene size.

Ideally I’d like to map the information to the \”Lens Blur\” node using the modulation connection to adjust the focus point. This doesn’t produce the results I expected, and doesn’t seem to work with the features of the Lens Blur’s node (which I want to use). Moreover, the depth pass itself is messed up out of Maya. It saves the information in the alpha channel instead of RGB, causing problems, and the distance colors are opposite of expected (objects further from the camera go to white, with the background matte being black). Using the “Invert” node in Composite inverts the entire image including the black background, so the image is STILL wrong (background should be the same color as objects furthest from the camera, not the opposite!). I don’t know how to get this working the right way and just produce a non-alpha 32-bit depth pass that looks like every other DoF shader I’ve used…

dof_problem.jpg

Anonymous
    Inactive

I managed to sort out the problem with the depth pass itself by assigning the zdepth color info to the RGB channels of the image node, and setting the alpha channel to the beauty pass’s alpha. From there I used the invert node to switch colors, then comp’ed it with an all black background.

This solved my problems for DoF via the modulation input with “Blur” node in Composite, but “Lens Blur” still isn’t working right. I think the node is broken in this version…modulation doesn’t properly follow the z depth colors, and the cool features like halos, aberration, etc.. don’t all link to the modulation blur. They just globally work in the Lens Blur node without obeying my depth map info…

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Copy link