mocha Pro 5 is now available, bringing a slate of improvements as well as new plug-in versions for popular host applications. The new plugins are big improvement on built-in offerings such mocha AE, as they provide planar tracking and masking directly in the plugin as opposed to a standalone application. mocha Pro 5 also debuts support for Avid Media Composer, bringing its tools to that application for the first time.
The new version updates the solid Imagineer Systems tracking algorithm to take advantage of OpenCL GPU processing. This can lead to considerable speed-ups, with increases quoted in the 40-60% range depending upon project resolution, settings, and system hardware. CPU-based performance has also been optimized further in this release.
Perhaps the biggest changes come with improvements to the Python API, ranging from new classes to customize imports, exports, creating tools, and rendering via the command line. Users can load and run these scripts directly in the mocha Pro interface via a new script editor. With the export class, new export formats can be created or existing ones modified and tailored to a specific use. Any custom exports that are created can be added as a native item in the export dialogs.
Custom tools can be built as well. Imagineer has shown an example of a custom "soft sculpting tool", which allows one to manipulate multiple points on either side of a selected point when adjusting a mask.
From an export standpoint, the new API allows the creation of custom image formats for saving or reading. The new "mocharender.py" command line script takes a project file as its input and allows rendering of the project in the background via command line settings.
New export formats provided in the standalone version include direct export to Blackmagic Fusion Shapes as well as Silhouette Shapes. Version 5 also brings the ability to export planar motion tracking data to HitFilm 4 Pro as a corner pin import. There are also improvements for Flame artists, with the ability to split out masks as separate files instead of combining them into one single file.
From a pricing standpoint, a big change is the addition of a yearly subscription model which allows the use of the standalone application or new plugin versions for $595/year. This is enabled via new and improved online licensing tools which make it easier to activate and deactivate licenses on a host system, allowing one to more easily move a license among multiple CPUs.
Below is the full press release from Boris FX and Imagineer Systems....
Guildford, UK – June 1, 2016 – Imagineer Systems launches mocha Pro 5, a major new product release of the Academy-Award winning planar tracking, masking, object removal, and image stabilization software.
mocha Pro is the popular motion tracking and visual effects tool used on thousands of feature films and television shows, including Star Wars: The Force Awakens, Mad Max: Fury Road, Game of Thrones, and many more. The new mocha Pro version 5 adds GPU-accelerated planar tracking for speed increases and the ability to run as a plug-in within host applications such as Adobe® Premiere® Pro CC, After Effects® CC, and Avid Media Composer with OFX support for The Foundry’s NUKE and Blackmagic DaVinci Resolve coming soon.
“The mocha Pro 5 release focuses on core improvements for speed and accessibility,” says Ross Shain, CMO of Boris FX and Imagineer Systems. “Imagineer engineers collaborated closely with the team at parent company Boris FX to update the mocha planar tracking algorithm to take advantage of OpenCL video processing. The resulting speed increases on high resolution and 4K projects has been tremendous.” Shain continues, “mocha has long been recognized as an essential tool in the visual effects workflow; consequently Avid and Adobe editors have been asking for mocha support for years. Now the plug-in option runs directly inside Media Composer, Premiere Pro, and After Effects without any import/export required. Feedback from the professional editing community has been super positive.”
“Boris FX has a long heritage of creating high-quality plugins for Avid Media Composer,” says Kate Ketcham, product manager, Avid. “Their collaboration with Imagineer Systems on a mocha Pro AVX plug-in enables editors to access mocha’s unique planar tracking and object removal features without leaving the timeline for faster, more efficient finishing workflows.”
New in mocha Pro 5:
- New Plug-in Option for Adobe & Avid. mocha Pro 5 is now available as a plug-in option for host editing and effects applications. This new capability adds unique tools for planar tracking, masking, and object removal tools and makes them fully accessible in Adobe After Effects CC, Adobe Premiere Pro CC, Avid Media Composer, Blackmagic DaVinci Resolve, and The Foundry’s Nuke.
- Open CL GPU tracking performance: mocha planar tracking has been updated to take advantage of supported video card hardware for significantly faster motion tracking on high resolution sources.
- Python Scripting Module: New improvements to Python scripting allow mocha Pro 5 to integrate with asset management systems and background render systems for improved facility integration.
- Improved online licensing mechanism allows users to easily activate/deactivate a license and run mochaPro on their computer of choice.
- New export formats: Includes tracking and masking support for Blackmagic Fusion, Silhouette FX, and MochaBlend for Maxon Cinema 4D.
- Improvements & bug fixes: including improved layouts, faster project saving, and more.
- New pricing:With a list price of $695 and upgrades starting at $395, the mocha Pro 5 plug-in option is the most affordably priced release of mocha Pro to date.
Price List: (USD)
mocha Pro 5 Plug-in Option:
- Plug-in Option: Avid (Full) $695
- Plug-in Option: Avid (Upgrade from mocha Pro 4) $395
- Plug-in Option: Adobe (Full) $695
- Plug-in Option: Adobe (Upgrade from mocha Pro 4) $395
- Plug-in Option: OFX (Full) $695
- Plug-in Option: OFX (Upgrade from mocha Pro 4) $395
- Plug-in Option: Multi-Host (Avid, Adobe, OFX) (Full) $995
- Plug-in Option: Multi-Host + Standalone Application (Upgrade) $595
mocha Pro 5 Standalone Application Option:
- Single, nodelocked license $1,495
- Upgrade from mocha Pro 4 $495
- Standalone + Multi-Host Plug-ins Option:
- Single, nodelocked license$ 1,995
- Upgrade from mocha Pro 4 $595
Annual Subscription Option:
- 1 Year Subscription includes: Standalone Application + Multi-Host Plug-ins $595
We've been a free service since 1999 and now rely on the generous contributions of readers like you. If you'd like to help support our work, please join the hundreds of others and become an fxinsider member.