The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences announced that 20 films are in the running in the Visual Effects category and that 10 animated short films will advance in the voting process for the 90th Academy Awards.
Visual Effects Films
The films under consideration for VFX are (in alphabetical order):
- Alien: Covenant
- Beauty and the Beast
- Blade Runner 2049
- Ghost in the Shell
- Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
- Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle
- Justice League
- Kong: Skull Island
- Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales
- The Shape of Water
- Spider-Man Homecoming
- Star Wars: The Last Jedi
- Thor: Ragnarok
- Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets
- War for the Planet of the Apes
- Wonder Woman
The Academy’s Visual Effects Branch Executive Committee determined the preliminary shortlist. Later this month, the committee will select the 10 films that will advance to nominations voting. Nominations for the 90th Oscars will be announced Jan. 23rd 2018.
Animated short film
The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences today announced that 10 animated short films will advance in the voting process for the 90th Academy Awards. Sixty-three pictures had originally qualified in the category.The 10 films are listed below in alphabetical order by title, with their production companies:
- Cradle, Devon Manney, director (University of Southern California)
- Dear Basketball, Glen Keane, director, and Kobe Bryant, writer (Glen Keane Productions)
- Fox and the Whale, Robin Joseph, director (Robin Joseph)
- Garden Party, Victor Caire and Gabriel Grapperon, directors (MOPA)
- In a Heartbeat, Esteban Bravo and Beth David, directors (Ringling College of Art and Design)
- Life Smartphone, Chenglin Xie, director (China Central Academy of Fine Arts)
- Lost Property Office, Daniel Agdag, director, and Liz Kearney, producer (8th in Line)
- Lou, Dave Mullins, director, and Dana Murray, producer (Pixar Animation Studios)
- Negative Space, Max Porter and Ru Kuwahata, directors (Ikki Films)
- Revolting Rhymes, Jakob Schuh and Jan Lachauer, directors (Magic Light Pictures)
Members of the Short Films and Feature Animation Branch viewed all the eligible entries for the preliminary round of voting. Short Films and Feature Animation Branch members will now select five nominees from among the 10 titles on the shortlist. Branch screenings will be held in Los Angeles, London, New York and San Francisco in January.
The 90th Oscars will be held March 4 at the Dolby Theatre at Hollywood & Highland Center in Hollywood, and will be televised live on the ABC Network in the USA, and televised live in more than 225 countries and territories worldwide.
We've been a free service since 1999 and now rely on the generous contributions of readers like you. If you'd like to help support our work, please join the hundreds of others and become an fxinsider member.