The VIEW Conference announced today that Rob Legato will speaking at the conference being held October 24th through the 28th in Turin, Italy. This conference has become one of our favorites over the years. Legato’s talk is entitled “The Art and Science behind creating a photo-realistic Jungle Book“. Here’s what he says about his session:
In this talk, I will emphasize the art form of mixing live action sensibilities as the analog creative input device for CGI created imagery, using more or less the rule book of live action cinema photography, lens choices, blocking and staging, without taking advantage of the perfection of CG, rather stressing the imperfection of live action photography and live action randomness.
There’s still time to sign up to attend the conference…you can find details at the VIEW website.
Other interesting items from the schedule include:
- DreamWorks Animation’s Trolls directors Mike Mitchell and Walt Dohrn who will discuss the creation of the highly-anticipated animated comedy, starring Justin Timberlake and releases November 4.
- Marvel EVP of Physical Production Victoria Alonso will talk about her work as an executive producer on many hits including Guardians of the Galaxy, Avengers: Age of Ultron, Captain America: Civil War and the upcoming Doctor Strange.
- Lucasfilm Chief Technology Officer Rob Bredow discusses experiments underway in virtual reality, augmented reality and interactive cinema at Lucasfilm’s ILMxLAB.
- Twitch Chief Operating Officer Kevin Lin takes a look at where “TV online” is going and what it means for creators.
- ILM Visual Effects Supervisor Russell Earl discusses the creation of Captain America: Civil War,
- ILM Visual Effects Supervisor / Second Unit Director Roger Guyett showcases Star Wars: The Force Awakens
The conference spans five days and includes six keynotes, talks, workshops & masterclasses, Awards and an all-new games ‘Bootcamp’ & Accelerator program. The complete schedule with information about all the speakers and presentations is online at http://www.viewconference.it.
The conference has four general categories of coverage: Animation, Games, Visual Effects, and Virtual Reality. In addition to showcasing these categories, VIEW CONFERENCE hosts a selection of talks and workshops on jobs, hiring, tools and training, including:
- J.C. Cornwell – Director of Training and Artist Development at Sony Pictures Imageworks who will offer live portfolio review and recruitment session during a workshop entitled ‘Portfolio review with J.C. Cornwell‘
- Josh Holmes – franchise creative director at 343 Industries, discussing ‘The Power of Ambition’ and workshopping the art of the pitch with ‘Pitch Perfect.’
- Marc Haimes, Screenplay Writer, Kubo and The Two Strings, at Laika will present a workshop to discuss ‘Scrutinizing the Writing Process & Lifestyle: 7 Hacks To Avoid Becoming A Hack.’
There are also sessions showcasing storytelling, arts and artistry in the broader context, including:
- Dr. Donald Greenberg – esteemed professor of computer graphics at Cornell University, draws on precedents from the Italian Renaissance to illustrate the strong relationship between art and science during a workshop titled, ‘Visual Imaging in the Electronic Age.’
- Michael Rubin, Fine art photographer, Director, The Rubin Collection discussing ‘Synecdoche & Haiku: Photography Beyond Ubiquity’ as well as a ‘Photographic “Haiku” Masterclass’ and ‘Photographic “synecdoche” workshop.’
- A panel discussing ‘Storytelling in the digital age: film vs TV series’ including Byron Howard – Co-Director, Zootopia; Conrad Vernon – Co-Director, Sausage Party; Chris Perry – Professor of Media & Arts at Hampshire College; Simone Giampaolo – Director, Blue Zoo Studios, Francesco Testa – CEO, Lastrego & Testa and Paolo Manera – Director, Piedmont Film Commission.
The VIEW Conference has also launched, and is now accepting submissions, in an exciting competition for animated short films or videogames created during 2015 and 2016. Deadline is September 15th. For more details visit: http://www.viewconference.it/awards-and-social-contest/.
The conference’s first-ever program to offer five early-stage game companies the opportunity for mentoring and financial backing. http://www.viewconference.it/games-bootcamp
Visit the VIEW Conference website at: http://www.viewconference.it for more information.
We've been a free service since 1999 and now rely on the generous contributions of readers like you. If you'd like to help support our work, please join the hundreds of others and become an fxinsider member.